I had two containers of medjool dates at home and it was time to use them. Don’t ask me how long they were in my cabinet but they were still good. I googled recipes and the ones I found called for about 1 cup of dates. That was not nearly enough to use up what I had, so I came up with this recipe for Peanut Butter Date Pops. They are basically a healthier version of peanut butter cups. Dates are soaked and blended with peanut butter, almond milk and some vanilla. You then free it to harden and shape into balls or put on a stick and dip into chocolate. My 6 year asked for doubles. He also said it tastes like it’s from Trader Joe’s which is probably the best compliment I can hope for.
Serve these as a snack or a dessert after a meal when you just want something sweet.
- 2 cup pitted dates
- ¾ cup smooth salted peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips
- Lollypop sticks
- Make sure the dates are pitted.
- If the dates are too dry, soak them in warm water for 10-15 minutes to soften. Drain before using.
- In a food processor, combine the pitted dates, peanut butter, almond milk, and vanilla extract.
- Blend until you get a smooth and sticky mixture.
- Spread the mixture on pan and freeze for at least one hour
- Once mixture hardens, break off pieces and roll into balls
- Melt chocolate chips in a microwave until smooth
- Dip stick into chocolate and then into ball
- Dip the pop into chocolate until coated
- Put on a parchment lined sheet pan and let harden.
- Store in the freezer