As I mentioned before, we are trying to eat more beans in the Kanter home. I found these beautiful lima beans at the farmers market and I wanted to give them a try. I also found the most incredibly fresh sugar snap peas and red onions and knew they would work really well together. I created this Sugar Snap Bean Salad for dinner on Sunday and it was devoured. I sliced the sugars snaps lengthwise and they looked beautiful. The warm beans were tossed with a marinade and the onions were marinated in some lemon juice to remove some of the bite. I sprinkled some feta to add a bit more flavor and the salad was complete. The sweet sugar snap peas, the sourness from the bean marinade and the salty cheese complement each other perfectly.
You can use white lima beans and you an substitute scallions for the red onion.
- 1 lb sugar snap peas sliced lengthwise
- 2 cups cooked lima beans
- ½ red onion sliced thin
- Juice of 2 lemons divided
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- Toss onion with juice of ½ a lemon and ½ teaspoon salt. Set aside for ½ hour
- Mix mustard, juice of 1½ lemons, ½ teaspoon salt and olive oil
- Toss dressing with beans.
- Let sit for 10 minutes for flavors to get absorbed
- Add sugar snaps, beans and onions to a bowl
- Top with feta and toss