I get super happy when I bring home produce from the farmer’s market and can create a new delicious recipe. I was honestly surprised at how tasty and addictive this Charred Green Beans With Vegan Pesto dish was. I bought a combination of yellow wax beans and green beans and I wanted to grill them to impart a smoky flavor. Alas, when I went to turn on my grill I saw that we ran out of propane so I prepared the beans in a frying pan on high heat and it was delicious even before I added the vegan pesto. The pesto was prepared simply with purple basil (you can substitute green), roasted salted sunflower seeds, garlic, olive oil and nutritional yeast. The nutritional yeast imparts a cheesy flavor and a lot of umami.
I spread the pesto on a plate, topped it with the beans and then added more pesto on top. The plate was licked clean. And it was only two of us!
- 2 lbs grean or wax beans or a combination of both
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large bunch of basil (purple or green(
- ½ shelled roasted salted sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Toss beans with 1 tablespoon olive oil and ¼ teaspoon salt
- Grill on high heat or in a frying pan until charred a bit but still crunchy
- Remove from heat
- Add basil, sunflower seeds, ¼ cup oil, garlic, nutritional yeast and ½ teaspoon salt to a food processor.
- Process until ground
- Spread pesto on a plate, top with beans and then drizzle more pesto on top