This Vegetable Brown Rice is a side dish that can pass as a light vegan lunch. It’s packed with vegetables that are cooked and mixed with the rice. I used a brown rice mix from Trader Joes because it comes mixed with daikon radish seeds and I love the added texture but can easily be made with just plain brown rice. Besides the beautiful mix of colors, each vegetable adds it’s own distinct flavor. This is excellent for vegans or can be served as a side with beef or chicken
I baked the rice in the oven to minimize clean up. See note below.
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (see note)
- 1 bunch scallions sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 colored peppers diced
- 2 bags fresh spinach or 6 cups
- Olive oil for sautéing
- Salt to taste
- Add scallions to a large frying pan with olive oil
- Saute for 5 minutes on medium heat
- Add garlic and saute until fragrant
- Add carrots and cook until carrots begin to caramelize. You may need to add more oil to the pan in between adding the vegetables.
- Add peppers and cook until they begin to soften
- Add spinach one handful at a time to avoid overflowing the pan
- As soon as the spinach wilts add more.
- When all the spinach is finished cooking, add the vegetables to a large bowl with rice.
- Season with salt and toss